Other Innovative Projects from Pitching Sessions, Garage Events, Hackathons, Outreach Events etc
RAN has been engaging with diverse innovators in a bid to increase the quality of innovative projects that can address resilience challenges in sub-Saharan Africa. This is through offering Innovators with the opportunity to pitch their projects to a team of experts at the Innovation Lab, Mentorship programs, Capacity building sessions, Hackathons, BootCamps and linkages to possibilities for funding, networking sessions among others. Below is a list of innovations that have emanated from the technical sessions that that the lab offers. More Details on: www.ranlab.org
- A mobile phone based Water Testing Kit; “Water4lyf”: The Water testing kit is a smart phone mobile application currently running on an android platform and a 3D kit that assesses the quality of drinking water through image capturing and processing. A machine learning algorithm embedded in the application processes and analyzes the image of the water sample taken by the phone camera and provides real time results on the water. Innovators: Nelson Waswa and Peter Nankunda, Email: Nelwa2006@yahoo.co.uk
- Tondo smart water meter: This is a prepaid water metering system that provides automated services on Customer profiles, reading meters, billing and tamper alerts among others.
- WinSenga – Feotal Heart Rate Monitor: This is a smartphone-based ultrasound alternative which aims to allow midwives and medical personnel especially in low resource settings who rely on subjectively accurate diagnosis via a fetoscope – an 18th century invention. With the new hardware and app combination, personnel are able to more accurately and effectively monitor the health of unborn children around the time of birth. Innovators: Joshua Okello –@joshuaokello, firstname.lastname@example.org, Aaron Tushabe (@tushabeaaron,aarontushabe.com). http://winsenga.org/
- MakaPads: These are locally manufactured pads, invented in 2004. They have an organic absorbent material made out of papyrus and paper. There is no added chemical during and after manufacturing. Users of MakaPads have affirmatively stated that they neither get skin irritation nor any side effects of any kind. Innovators: Dr. Moses Kizza Musaazi , Senior Lecturer College of Engineering Design Art & Technology -email@example.com, Juliu Nakibuule – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Musawo Drugs: This is a mobile phone-based fake drugs control application that helps to check for counterfeit drugs through SMS notifications and QR code technology. It addresses fake drugs control by sending a scanned unique code from the drug to National Drug Authority database and automatically replies if the drug is genuine or not. The application has additional features like providing some medical drugs information and newsfeed to inform users about any current news on drugs. Innovator: Badru Ssenoga; email@example.com
- Automated Intravenous Fluid Flow Rate: The automated IV fluid flow rate control system employs a motor controlled pinch valve to regulate gravity influenced flow, and a motor controlled IV bag pressing mechanism to automatically provide flow rates higher than the maximum gravity influenced flow. The system then alerts medical workers using a buzzer and a light emitting diode. This greatly improves the accuracy of IV fluid flow rates and reduces the work load on workers in short staffed health facilities. Innovators: Zaake W. Semazzi; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- KFREE – Breast Cancer Kit: KFREE is an innovation based on a modern physics technique, the Raman spectroscopy. The device passes monochromatic light through the breast and generates a spectrum of the scattered light on the opposite side. This spectrum is analyzed by the smartphone through a camera and a computer program. The spectrum contains information about the matter within the breast being tested and processes the spectrum into a graphical pattern that it scans for components that suggest the likelihood of breast cancer. Innovators: Sentamu Joshua – Joshsent07@gmail.com , David Tusubira, Derrick Luwaga
- Breast IT using a Hyphen Glove: Breast IT is a mobile and desktop application which carries out early diagnosis of breast cancer by screening the images of the inner breast, taken by a customized Hyphen glove. This is a custom made glove with ultra sound nodes connected to it. The nodes carry out ultra sound imaging of the inner breast, and the images are sent to the adruino board, that converts them to sound and transmits them to the phone through an audio line. It will increase self-breast examination, through early, cheap and painless diagnosis. Innovators: David Mwesigwa – email@example.com
- eMUSAWO Telemedicine Kit: eMusawo Telemedicine kit is a miniaturized medical kit containing currently 5 digital instruments capable of accurately testing Blood Pressure, Blood Oxygen saturation, respiratory rate, Temperature, BPM, ECG and is a low cost Cloud based interactive Telemedicine System. Data is sent from the sensors to a smartphone via Bluetooth connection or directly to the eMusawo database for storage, analysis and sharing. This mobile kit can be used for different tests and screening and all data is accessible on www.emusawo.com and can be used in offline mode as long as it is connected to a smartphone and data is sent to the cloud when an internet or SMS connection is made. Innovators: Tumuhaise Denis, Asiimwe Paul, Kato Herbert, Dr. Mugisha Alex (Shockdrift Technologies)
- MAMA-OPE – Pneumonia Kit: This is a biomedical application for diagnosis and continuous monitoring of pneumonia patients. MAMA stands for mother and OPE denotes hope, MAMA-OPE thus symbolizes “Hope for the Mother”. The Mama-Ope is used for diagnosis and monitoring of pneumonia in children, consisting of a wearable (vest) and smartphone application. The vest is interfaced with a smartphone through a Bluetooth connection that hosts an application for analysis, display, archival and remote access of the data. Innovators: Besufekad M Shifferaw – firstname.lastname@example.org, Olivia Koburongo – email@example.com, Brian Turyabagye
- Macotuba: Macotuba is a mobile based application (android) designed to diagnose Tuberculosis (TB) by using a mobile phone and breath sensor called the TBNose. The Phone is connected to the TBNose via Bluetooth and as the patient breathes through the TBNose, the doctor presses a button for scanning and the results are sent to the mobile phone for the doctor to review. Innovators: Joshua Wabulo –firstname.lastname@example.org
- Malaria Control System: The project involves the use of massive ultrasound Technology to effectively drive mosquitoes away from homesteads and livestock in Ugandan villages to non-inhabited places, so as to massively and effectively apply insecticides, reducing the spread of malaria.
The system prototype is made of a conveyor belt, on which a spraying arm and piezoelectric material are attached and moved over a village, from one end to the other. The system emits ultrasound to drive the mosquitoes towards a given direction allowing for concentrated spray of chemicals, to kill mosquitoes and their larvae. Innovators: Power Mukisa – email@example.com
- Plastic Recycler: This involves recycling plastics to make construction materials such as roofing materials and floor tiles. Plastic is non-biodegradable and so this provides an ingenious way of protecting the environment.
- Coffee Trolley: A mobile coffee cart that aims to enhance users’ experience in accessing and drinking coffee and by so doing aims to increase Ugandan coffee consumption culture.
- Medical Equipment simulator: This is a software application that simulates usage of medical equipment and teaches medical professionals and students of medicine, nursing, biomedical engineering how to use and maintain medical equipment.
- Asthma Nebilizer: A low-cost bicycle operated nebulizer to treat asthma attacks in low resource settings.
- Glambition: A mobile application to prevent obesity in youth through nutrition information on the best practices and a service that links the users to a counselors and nutritionists for further guidance
- DIABEAT IT: A mobile application for diabetic patients to connect them with nearby doctors and pharmacies. The app also offers reminders for the users to take their drugs, exercise, attend doctor’s appointments and also helps them monitor their sugar levels.
- Patient Care App (PCA): A mobile application that provides useful information for HIV/AIDS patients. The app also allows patients with chronic illnesses to enter the various medications they are on, their doses and times for taking them in order to set a reminder.
- Teenglobe: A mobile application to offer information and counselling services for pregnant teenagers
- Chilgrow Food Supplement: A nutritional supplement made of local foods with rich nutrients to solve malnutrition to curb the levels of malnutrition in children under five years.
- Awamu – Bio Mass Cooking Energy
TLUD gasifier stoves are biomass fuel stoves using locally available dry biomass for cooking (cleanly) and there after turns them into charcoal that can be used for further cooking. TLUDs reduce amount of biomass fuels used for cooking, have less smoke, start and cook faster. The stoves burn a wide variety of biomass including unconventional agricultural biomass like maize cobs, cassava stems, bamboo, large seed pods, twigs, un-carbonized briquettes etc. that are otherwise viewed as waste. This reduces the rate of deforestation and the time spent by women and children collecting firewood for cooking.
- Raising Gabdho Foundation: This is an initiative that is creating employment for vulnerable youth, especially the urban and refugee community. It aspires to build their skills and give them a source of income and livelihood through alternative sustainable clean energy products like Honeycomb briquettes and cook stoves.
- Micro – Hydro Electricity Generation Model: Reduces the stress exerted on the environment through deforestation and degradation of water bodies for the generation of electricity through a Hydro Electricity generation model that uses the Kinetic energy of water stored in a domestic water tank.
- Hydroponic Animal Fodder System – Growing Animal Fodder in Six Days: The Innovators are looking to indigenize the hydroponic unit through local fabrication of hydroponic production fodder infrastructure to make it cost effective for rural farmers. Hydroponic Fodder system involves the germination of cereal seeds such as barley, wheat, rice, oats, millet, sorghum and so on, in a specially created and controlled environment without soil, which sprouts in six days into a high quality, disease free, voluminous grass and root combination that is very lush and a highly nutritious animal feed. This green fodder is extremely high in protein and metabolizable energy.
- Solar Powered Egg Incubator: Harnessing solar energy has been gaining significance as a new and continuous supply of alternative power source. Innovators have designed a solar powered egg Incubator that has two separate chambers for hatching chicken eggs. It has the capacity to hatch about 6 chicken eggs. Energy is trapped from the solar plate stored in a battery and distributed inside the Incubator chambers.
- Agrico: This is a platform that defines main actors in the Agriculture value chain such as traders, service providers, farmers and traders and links them and has a potential for integrating the mobile money systems. This emanates from challenges in the current farming ecosystem that lacks agricultural infrastructure, Farmers have limited connectivity to service providers, or any formal traders for their agricultural products. And also many farmers operate without using formal financial services such as bank accounts, nonbank financial institutions, or microfinance institutions (MFIs), and most are not even exposed to these institutions.
- Transfarm: A mobile application that provides relevant and useful information on best practices for farming
- AGROSafe: A mobile application targeted at maize and chicken farmers that increases access to information on diseases, prevention and treatment and also has a chat service to enable these farmers to access expert advice.
Projects on Climate Change / Climate Resilience Hackathon
- Endure: This is an Open Knowledge and data platform that harnesses mass collaboration to share resilience knowledge. This is mainly through short crowd sourced videos on sustainable agriculture, conservation, forestry, clean energy, freshwater management, ocean conservation, food waste reduction, waste management, and sustainable design.
- Ponnya: A mobile interactive video game that harnesses the aesthetic experience to educate young people (5 years and above) on climate change issues, common disasters associated with El Niño and La Niña and what should be done to prevent and possible reverse the current effects and damages brought about by climate change.
- Agri-Gap: A USSD and SMS based localized application that is used in requisition and dissemination of ANY agricultural related information to all the local and modern farmers. It detects the users location and provides relevant and location specific information in a more simplified format understood by the least educated farmer through the local language and customized messages.
- Sikizi IMS: A server based multilayered information management system that disseminates information and gets feedback from the various players on climate change.
- Scaling up SSACOB Saving Groups (Safe and comfortable Bodas SSACOB): This is a training program for Safe and comfortable boda (SACOB) that promotes Good Management of local saving groups, healthy living and Strategic investment by saving groups. It comprises of a Boda with a motorcycle trailer that can be used for routine or emergency transport.
- Square Meter Model: A model that enables interested investors to each put money towards purchasing a square meter (or more) of a plot of land. Once the land is developed and re-sold, investors are able to make a profit on the land bought.
- Ebbz World: A mobile based platform that allows registered shop-keepers to showcase their products so they are easily retrieved by customers registered on the same platform
Education / Skilling:
- Yo Mentor: A web and mobile phone based app that pairs youth and young entrepreneurs registered on the platform with career counselors, mentors and consultants within their area.
- Employ: A mobile based application that offers a platform for unemployed persons to get information on various vocational institutes where they can acquire hands-on skills and training to further build their portfolio
Innovation Garage Inventions:
RAN partnered with the Innovation Consortium group, a combination of engineers with practical experience to run Monthly Innovations Garage sessions. This is a great platform for innovators to build and get quick fixes of their engineering projects collaboratively with very creative and brave individuals. Projects receive considerable attention including re-inventing some parts of the prototype or suggesting alternatives that could be less costly or more efficient and using readily available materials. New ideas that have emerged out of Garage ideation sessions include:
- “Robust Radio Towers to support the community radio (RootIO) antenna and other radio antenna”. During the pilot phase, the RootIO innovators team experienced challenges in procurement and setting up a low cost radio tower. Garage attendees brainstormed a low cost Radio Tower to bring down the cost from $3000 to approximately $500 and increasing the length of the tower from 12 to 25 meters. We are designing a Tripod Tower with 3 pillars made of galvanized pipes.
- Inventions on Ultrasound Malaria Control Towers: An Engineering student innovator presented a “Malaria Control System” involving the use of ultrasound technology to effectively drive away mosquitoes from homesteads. This was an expensive mechanism and the design had limitations. Participants of the Garage proposed; “Repel or Attract and Kill mechanism” to wipe out mosquitoes. The new designs brainstormed included;
- Low cost Towers made of timber or use of existing towers or trees onto which the ultrasound frequency system is attached that attracts mosquitoes, a system that can decrease in wavelength at certain intervals. This system is placed in breeding areas of mosquitoes like swamps and at peak times when mosquitoes are active, a design sensor is embedded as an accessory to detect number of mosquitoes that have accumulated and to be sprayed at once.
The second design consideration is a cross tower with a transmitting circuitry, a spraying tank is attached, a sprinkler and dozing pump. Consider 2 pumps and regulator ball valve where the dozing pump mixes the chemical for spraying. To eliminate a spraying pump in areas where there is power, there is an option of mosquitoes being trapped at one point in a wire mesh that electri-circuits them.
Gender Based Violence (GBV)
- Against Domestic Violence (ADV): A mobile application for women that offers information on ways to overcome exploitation and abuse by men in their marriages and beyond and provides platform for physically abused women to get help from different groups of people
- Momager: A mobile based application for working, urban mothers to find trained and thoroughly vetted part-time or full-time nannies to prevent child abuse by domestic workers
GIS Hackathon Projects
- EpiD Mapper: This is a mobile and web based reporting tool to tackle disease epidemic outbreaks in Uganda. It maps out areas showing extreme weather conditions as a result of climate change, analyses resources distributed to these areas, which are then recorded in a central reporting platform.
- Landslide Susceptibility App: This is a landslide susceptibility map indicating areas in Uganda that are more susceptible to landslides and can display accessibility routes to these susceptible areas
- “Kuuma App”: A mobile application that reports Deforestation Incidents by scanning images through a mobile phone application.
Projects on Smart Transport – Rapid Urbanisation
- Traffic Assistant: Data Collection on Traffic Patterns through mining data off social media and
- Right way: An application that standardizes testing and assessment of drivers using a gaming tool.
- Quick tap: An automated system for collecting fares from passengers for commuter taxis and buses.
- SSK App: Handheld device for air pollution detection.
- Phone Control App: Mobile Application for Barring Calls while driving.
Safe Spot: Crowd sourcing platform to rate and determine safe public transport.
- City Check App: Facilitates quick emergency response at accident scenes.
- Parking Finder: An application that helps commuters to find parking in real-time
- SONET- Ruts: Mobile Application that allows the user to ride along in a private car
- Innovex (Product Development Training for hardware based Innovations): Supports Innovators from prototype stage to consolidation of a PCB design and furnishing it with firmware to work flawlessly, design of the casing and and other needed accessories.
- Fingerprint operated car Ignition System: A fingerprint operated car ignition system to reduce car theft.